A big clampdown on motor caravans parking overnight in the Yorkshire Coast holiday areas has been given the green light after years of protests by hoteliers and the tourist industry leaders.
North Yorkshire County Council’s Yorkshire Coast and Moors Area Committee councillors have agreed to tackle the long-standing issue of the motorised caravans parking up in key holiday areas at Whitby, Sandsend and other destinations such as Scarborough, Filey and Cayton Bay.
David Bowe, the authority’s Director of Business Services told the committee in a report, that questionnaire surveys had been carried out to explore the problem.
It said: “The most shocking comments concerned the emptying of chemical waste over cliffs, defecating in public areas in the streets, and reports of a resident counting 37 motor caravans parking for significant periods on North Promenade, Whitby.”
He added that other issues raised by local residents opposing the motor caravanners include giving the holiday coast a bad image, that the users of the vehicles not contributing to the local economy and using amenities paid for by residents, litter, and the cooking in public areas by the caravanners.
Now a ban prohibiting motor-caravans from parking on earmarked roads is to be introduced between 11 pm and 7 am.
However, some users of the motorised caravans have told the council in the survey that the planned order is discriminatory, and that it will result in the users boycotting the coast for holidays. Residents who have motor caravans will be issued with permits.
Areas being targeted under the new ban will be Whitby’s North Promenade, Love Lane, North Terrace, Church Street and Royal Crescent; the Royal Albert Drive, Foreshore Road, Sandside and Esplanade at Scarborough; The Beach, Crescent Hill and The Crescent at Filey; Sandsend Road and Lythe Bank, Sandsend; and Filey Road, Osgodby Hill, Cayton.
Mr Bowe says: “It is clear there is strong opposition from the motor-caravanning community.
“The majority of those responding to the survey objected to the principle of discriminating between categories of vehicles, rather than being immediately affected as regular users of the road.”
While the council could hold a public inquiry, no-one had asked for one, he said.
However, motor-home parking campaigner Andy Strangeway says that because former temporary orders on overnight parking expired on July 22, and the new signs did not become operational until July 31, people would be able to park between the dates without fear of prosecution.