A CLEANER who was attempting to do a spot of vacuuming had the shock of her life after getting trapped in a lift in an empty building.
Luckily the lift, located in Whitby’s Jobcentre Plus branch on Bobbie’s Bank, was fitted with an emergency button that alerted the fire crew, who were able to come to her rescue.
The lady was cleaning the careers offices at 6.20pm on Friday and was taking the vacuum cleaner upstairs via the lift, when it broke down.
Andy Loft, of Whitby fire service, said: “By the time we got the call she had been there for 40 minutes, she was quite shaken up.”
Had there been no emergency button the cleaner could have remained trapped in the lift over the entire weekend, until the branch reopened on Monday.
Fortunately the fire crew were able to release the lift door, allowing the occupant to escape unharmed.