Chimney fire at Cook pub

Fire crews at the Captain Cook Inn on Sunday evening

Fire crews at the Captain Cook Inn on Sunday evening

0
Have your say

A FIRE at a pub in Staithes was extinguished on Sunday evening.

North Yorkshire Fire crews from Whitby, Lythe and Scarborough responded to reports of a blaze at the Captain Cook Inn on Staithes Lane at around 7.15pm.

The Captain Cook Inn at Staithes

The Captain Cook Inn at Staithes

Richard Merrifield, crew manager at Whitby Fire Station, said that three fire engines attended the scene, including an aerial ladder platform from Scarborough.

They received a call at around 7.15pm and Mr Merrifield added: “It was quite a serious chimney fire, so we had to deal with it.”

Fire crews removed an area of ceiling to gain access to the attic space and were able to extinguish the fire, leaving the scene at around 10pm.

Neil Readman, landlord of the Captain Cook Inn said that no major damage had been sustained by the fire.

He explained the fire had started beside the pub’s chimney breast in the attic space and had been caused by the gradual erosion of brickwork with the 140-year-old public house.

The fireplace in the pub’s lounge area had been lit through the day, but the owners were unaware that this had caused a small fire in the pub’s fourth floor.

The property’s automatic fire alarm sounded at about 7pm, when the landlord contacted the emergency services for assistance.

When the job was complete the crews were treated to a warm drink, and the pub was able to reopen the following day for business as usual.