Family and friends have paid tribute to the two men who passed away on board their fishing boat on Tuesday.
Mark Arries (26), from Amble, and Edward Ide (21), from Blyth, were named as the two men found dead on board the M220 Eshcol, a fishing boat moored beside Whitby Fish Market on Tuesday morning.
Mark and Edward’s loved ones identified their bodies on Wednesday afternoon, before police officially released their names. Tributes were being paid to the men at Amble, where flowers were left at the harbour the pair often fished from, and on social networking website Facebook.
Mark is said to have been born at Amble and lived with fiancée Kim Grieve and their young daughter.
Edward was raised in Amble and attended the same school. He has since moved to Blyth, where he lived with his girlfriend.
Both men are said to have been fishermen since school, with Mark’s dad and brother also in the trade.
At Amble harbour yesterday, Mark’s cousin Karl Stewart (27) who lives in the town, described the pair as “really kind hearted people.”
He said: “They had a heart for everybody. Mark was a family man. He always stuck to his fishing. He needed to work and he would do it for people. And Eddie was the same.
“Mark was born in Amble, when he was younger he wanted to be on the boats from when he was little. Fishing was his life.
“They were based here but they went everywhere really. They were great lads, both of them.”
Emily Wintrip (25) from Amble, a friend of Mark’s since nursery, added: “He was a lovely lad, really nice, you could not get a better person. He loved what he was doing at sea, it was all he has ever wanted to do from school, it is just a tragedy it had to end at sea.”
Emily had visited the harbour earlier to lay flowers, as had a number of other people in the town.
Messages of condolence have been left on Kim’s Facebook page while on her page, Mark’s mother Tracey Stewart posted: “Thanks for all the messages, totally devastated can’t believe my boy has gone, love you always xx”
Tributes were also paid on the Facebook group Fishing News.
The deaths are currently being treated as unexplained with an investigation under way.
There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances and no one else is being sought in connection with the incident. Reports have suggested the men suffered carbon monoxide poisoning having left an oven ring burning throughout the night to provide heat.