£6,000 fine for restaurant after hygiene offences

Passage
Passage

An Indian restaurant and takeaway in Whitby has been found guilty of food hygiene offences after a case brought against it by Scarborough Borough Council.

The owners of Passage to India (Whitby) Ltd pleaded guilty to four offences at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013. The company was fined £6,000 and also ordered to pay £580 in costs to the council and a further £120 victim surcharge.

However, the restaurant has since made improvements and has achieved a ‘Good’ hygiene rating.

The offences were:

lFailure to ensure that the premises was kept clean

lFailure to ensure that all articles, fittings and equipment with which food comes into contact were kept clean

lFailure to implement a food safety management system

lFailure to ensure that food was protected against contamination likely to render it unfit for human consumption or a risk to human health

The council brought the case against the company after a routine inspection of the restaurant’s premises last summer.

The council’s Environmental Health Officer found the standard of cleanliness unacceptable for a commercial kitchen with units, appliances and floor areas in a filthy condition.

pasage

pasage

The company’s food handling practices were poor, exposing cooked foods to the risk of cross contamination from raw meat and food being left out of the refrigerator for longer than is safe to do so.

Jonathan Bramley, Scarborough Borough Council Environment and Regulation Manager, said: “Our Environmental Health team had previously worked with this popular Whitby restaurant in a bid to get it to clean up its act. It is unfortunate therefore that despite repeat warnings, we were left with no choice but to take court action.

“I am pleased to report however that in the last few months the restaurant has made significant improvements to its food hygiene practices and this is reflected in its most recent food hygiene rating of 4 (good), which was awarded in January.

“High standards of cleanliness and a comprehensive food safety management system are essential for any food business. To protect the public we will always take action against those that do not comply with these requirements.”